Friday, July 1, 2011

Brioche yum yum!

I have always loved Brioche. It's one of those simple things that just taste SO GOOD! There's nothing like this french treat to sop up some yummy sauce. Although Challah is by far better french toast (sorry!), brioche can withstand the weight of just about anything you need to dip it in.


I did one braided loaf of brioche and a batch of the more traditional buns. Both were tender and delicious. I scooped the recipe from Rock Recipes, where I also got a great pork chop recipe. I didn't change anything from the recipe, except that I hand kneaded it. Of course hand kneading takes quite a bit more work, but it's just that much more rewarding.


The Main Attraction: 
Brioche



4 cups flour
1 envelope of instant yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup real butter, slightly softened and near room temperature (NO SUBSTITUTES) Cut butter in about a dozen small pieces
1/2 cup whole milk (or for even richer brioche substitute undiluted evaporated milk)
4 eggs at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract

I didn't use a stand mixer, so I added the flour,



 salt,



 yeast,



 and sugar (I used raw sugar)



 to a large bowl. 



And combined the ingredients.


Next I added the eggs,






 milk,






 and vanilla extract






then mixed it together until all of the dry ingredients were fully incorporated.  The dough may be looking rough at this point but that is normal.  At this point you want to turn the dough out on a clean surface.  And make sure that the butter is cubed. As you start to kneed the dough add a couple cubes a butter at a time.  Continue doing this until all of the butter is used and the dough become smooth looking, and elastic to the tug. 




This took me about 8 minutes. It's important not to work the dough more than you have to.  After this last step, cover and let the dough double in size (about 2 hours, less if your kitchen is warm).  When the dough is done rising,  hand knead it for about 5 minutes and form into whatever style you want the Brioche to bake in. Let rise for about 2 more hours. Hey, I never said that bread making is a short process! Usually the two hour intervals go pretty fast, especially if you have a billion other things to do. Um, Xbox anyone? Ha!


Brush with the tops with egg wash:
1 Egg
1 tbsp of water


...and bake at 350 until golden brown on top and a tooth pick comes out clean. For me, that was about 25 minutes. 


Then, viola! 




Nope I couldn't even wait until the Wife took the picture!
Enjoy this yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment