Friday, July 1, 2011

Honey Garlic Pork Chops

I was surfing through Rock Recipes again and I found the yummiest pork chop recipe ever.


I don't know about you, but my childhood included pork chops, many of nights. My mom simply dredged them in flour, salt, and pepper then pan fried them. Her favorite was to serve them with macaroni (that dreaded blue box) and sweet peas mixed together. 


Oh memory lane!


But this recipe is one that I know she would love.


(It would also be really good with boneless, skinless chicken breast).
The Main Attraction:
Honey Garlic Pork Chops


**Note I halved the flour mixture because I usually only cook for two, but the sauce recipe I doubled! I love sauce! The recipe included is the one that I used.


Dredge:
1\2 Cup Flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp  black pepper
1/2 tbsp ground ginger. 
1/2 tbsp paprika 
A couple of pinches of italian seasoning
A pinch of cayenne (red) pepper


Egg wash:
1 egg, whisked
1 tbsp cold tap water


Combine all of ingredients for the dredge and prepare the egg wash in two separate bowls. Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture, dip them in the egg wash (both sides), and dredge them in the flour mixture again. Be sure to press the flour mixture on the pork chop to adhere. 



Heat oil over medium heat (I used vegetable, but peanut works great too) until a sprinkle of water sizzles and disappears.  Lay the pork chops in the oil and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side. This may be pushing it but I'm terrified of under cooked meat (unless it's steak for some odd reason) and the Wife gets wide eyed at any sign of pinkness. Drain on a cooling rack or paper towels.

Meanwhile!

While the chops are getting yummy you can prepare the sauce.

Sauce:
2 tbsp of olive oil
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 1/2 cup of honey
2/3 cup soy sauce (i use a low sodium version)
A couple pinches of black pepper


In a sauce pan add the olive oil and the garlic and saute over medium low heat until fragrant. (But don't brown). Then add the honey, soy sauce, and pepper and mix for about five minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 more minutes (or until thickened some)
I just pored the sauce over the pork  chop, but feel free to serve the sauce on the side for dunking!



I served it over white rice with brioche, yes I have an unhealthy love of carbs! 


Reminds me of how my plate looked as a kid! Mom would be proud.




2 comments:

  1. Oh man, these pork chops look so good! I love that the sauce consists of such simple ingredients. Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They so were! Definitely worth trying with with chicken breast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete